If you are on Pinterest, I know you are addicted to it like I am. In my defense, I really have made a lot of recipes my family likes and have completed a lot of projects around my house that are Pinterest inspired including making my own dishwasher and laundry detergent. More on that later.
This year, I decided I wanted a very handmade vintage paper look for my tree. Did I mention that I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old? Either I’m very ambitious or crazy. I’m leaning toward the latter. I love all the book page projects I’ve been seeing online. I do feel a little weird about destroying books, but I chose one that I don’t think would even be bought from Goodwill if I donated it. It is very outdated and has a select audience. Now that I have that off my chest, I can give the details.
I started by making a book page wreath. I ripped (yes, I said ripped) the pages from the book and rolled in cone shapes and glued with scrapbook adhesive. In hindsight, I think I would use hot glue or something stronger because after having the windows open the other day, a few popped open. I then cut a wreath form from a paper plate and glued them to it using a glue gun. They were different sizes so I tried to stagger and layer on top of others until it looked the way I mostly wanted. It’s not perfect, but the effect is nice, don’t you think?
Next for my tree, I wanted to make cut out birds from book pages and a brown paper bag paper chain. The birds were very easy and quick. I drew a template on card stock and cut it out. Then I used it to create 19 birds from book pages and 19 from card stock for backing and glued together. Don’t forget to make them facing both ways. It looks better. Punch a hole and tie a loop with some sparkly ribbon. Voila!
Gotta love my little helper!
To finish off the tree, I went for a monochromatic look with red bulbs of different finishes. I wish I had a better picture of the tree, but this is all I managed to get. My whole goal was to have a new look without spending any money. With the exception of buying a new stapler, this project didn’t cost me a cent. It’s a win for me!