These days I am trying to maximize my time spent in the kitchen. If I can cook 2 or 3 meals or at least prep a meal while I cook another during nap time or at night, it saves me having to cook with a baby hanging on my legs before dinner time. One problem I am having is my tiny kitchen is limiting in how many meals I can prep and cook at once. I love reading those blogs where they cook 10 or more meals to freeze in one day. My problem is finding enough counter space to work on. My version of this method is a daily affair of cooking a couple things at a time over the course of the week.
I found two recipes that used similar veggies. Both are from Budget Bytes and I have been wanting to make them for a while. One is a vegetarian burrito and the other a veggie couscous bowl. The burritos I made according to the recipe from Budget Bytes and froze them for John to take to work or for when I don’t want to cook dinner. I will post more on these later in a “What’s in my Freezer?” post.
Here’s the veggies that went into them. Zucchini, red pepper and red onion get roasted with oil, cumin, oregano and salt. The burritos get black beans, cheese and spiced up rice added too.
For the couscous bowls, I switch up the recipe with zucchini and yellow squash, red pepper, asparagus, red onion and garlic cloves. I drizzled with dipping oil for bread that has mediterranean herbs in it.
Here’s what it looked like in my kitchen with both pans out and black beans thawing from the freezer. I will post more on cooking beans and freezing soon!
This is the mediterranean veggies once they came out caramelized to perfection.
- 2 med zucchini, cubed
- 2 med yellow squash, cubed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1½ in sections
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil or flavored dipping oil
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 oz goat cheese
- Fresh parsely for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place zucchini, squash, red pepper, onion, asparagus on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and toss with some salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Boil 1 cup of water with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Stir in couscous and remove from stove. Cover for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- Spoon couscous into a bowl and top with roasted veggies.
- Garnish with goat cheese and fresh parsley.