I’ve been wanting to make some granola bars for a while. I have probably pinned at least five different recipes, but never tried to make them. I found this recipe the other day, and I had all the ingredients for it- close enough anyway. I always like to change up something. It’s really easy and fun to do with your kids. As soon as Camden went down for his morning nap, I grabbed Arabella and we went to work.
Start with 1/4 cup of butter in a microwaveable bowl and add 1/3 cup of brown sugar.
Then add 1/4 cup of honey.
Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Then microwave for another minute and half and stir in 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
Stir in 2 cups of oatmeal and 1 1/4 cup of Rice Krispies.
Keep stirring until it’s all thoroughly combined.
It should be a little sticky like this.
Pour into a buttered baking sheet.
Push up against the edges of one side until you create one solid rectangular piece.
I didn’t have any mini chocolate chips, so I decided to chop up some dark chocolate chips. I also thought with it being fall, I should throw in some chopped dried cranberries.
Combine the chocolate and cranberries in a bowl.
Press them into the bars.
Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
After removing from the freezer, cut into bars.
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1¼ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 Tbsp of dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries, chopped
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and honey.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir and microwave again for 1½ minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract, oatmeal and Rice Krispies until well coated.
- Press into a buttered baking sheet until it forms one smooth rectangular piece.
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Take out and cut into bars.
You should make these today!