John and I have been sick with a cold or whatever seems to be going around lately. It could be because we started to have fall temps in September and then 80 degree days came back in October. Annoying! On top of it all, we both developed pink eye. Yuck! Thank God, the kids are fine. We had some wonderful friends drop off some sandwiches from Firehouse Subs today. They literally, dropped and left. I don’t blame them. We both look like zombies walking around. Not pretty.
Anyway, so I thought I would catalog my favorite things to do when I’m sick.
1. Order take-out food. We have a little Vietnamese pho place around the corner from us. In the 4 years we have lived here, we have never eaten there even though it was highly recommended by friends. Maybe we were a little intimidated about what to order. After reading reviews, we both got something different, and it is becoming a new fave. The freshness made it so much better than ordering Chinese, which is what we usually do
2. Watch mystery movies. When I was a young teenager, I used to stay home to watch old Perry Mason re-runs on AMC. I still like to watch a good (not too scary) mystery like Agatha Christie. Have I mentioned she’s one of my favorite authors? I think I have read all her books and most of them 2-3 times. Even when I know the “who done it,” she takes me on a wild goose chase in which I think to myself, “Am I sure I remember this right?”
3. Pinterest. Need I say more?
4. Get frozen yogurt. When I was a week overdue with Camden, Sweet Frog fro yo got the contractions going, so we ate their several times in one week hoping to get the labor going. Alas, it did not work, but it was worth a try! We went the other day (before the pink eye) to get something cold on our throats. It was a good to get out of the house and absorb some sunshine.
5. Start a to do list. Looking at all the Pinterest home decor gets me thinking about things I want to do when I get better. After telling John another thing in the house I wanted to paint today he said, “Why don’t you put a sticker on the things you don’t want to paint.” I guess dreaming about DIY projects isn’t on his fave list of things to do when he’s sick. Hopefully, I will have some of these projects to show off soon!
6. Paint my nails. I got some new colors for fall the other day, so I got to try them out today. This is Revlon Colorstay in Midnight. It’s like a dark peacock blue. Peacocks are a fave with me!
7. Read. I love to read a good fictional book. I’m very particular about what I like, but I’ve learned what it is that I’m attracted to in a book. I’ve basically narrowed it down to historical settings in the UK (sometimes America), authors who include eating and drinking in the story, and interesting characters. I loved any classics, and of course Agatha Christie. Right now, I’m reading the Mitford series by Jan Karon. So sweet, and an easy read. It will make you want to cook!
8. Drink a milkshake or blended coffee drink. I made John go out and get this mocha frappe from Mickey D’s this morning. I felt like I needed a little pep and something cold on my throat (again).
9. Read a magazine. I got my latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens yesterday, so I flipped through it while sipping on my frappe. Getting excited about Thanksgiving!
10. Do a little fall decorating. Nothing strenuous. Just a pumpkin here, a magazine there. Oops! I forgot to take the address label off the mag. Note how I like to decorate with library books. :) This Young House Love is great! Love the blog, love the book.
That’s my list. Hope you enjoyed it!