We found a bourbon turkey brine online and switched it up a little with some of our own fresh ingredients. John will be smoking the turkey, so we thought this would pair well with the smoked flavor. You could also use it for baking your turkey too.
Here are the ingredients to start with.
- 3 cups salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup whole black peppercorns
- 2-4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 oranges, cut in half
- 4 cups bourbon
- 1½ - 2 gallons water (enough to cover the bird)
- Dissolve the salt and sugar in ½ gallon of water in a large pot on the stove. Cool down with ice and cold water.
- Add bourbon, oranges, rosemary and peppercorns and stir.
- Pour brine into a very large pot or food safe container and place turkey breast side down into the pot. Add more cold water to cover the turkey.
- Leave in refrigerator over night until ready to cook.
- Pat turkey dry with paper towels after removing from brine.
This turkey is ready to go in the fridge for the night.
I can’t wait to cook this guy tomorrow!