I thought I would share a tip on how to make your store bought sauce into a homemade healthier meal. For starters, I like to add something fresh like some diced up onion, red pepper and minced garlic. You could use green pepper if you prefer. I get mine on sale at Trader Joe’s for 69 cents and stock up by slicing them and keeping in the freezer. My kids like to eat them frozen!
Cook some ground beef in a skillet and drain off any grease. Sauté the veggies in a pot until they are tender or about 10 minutes. Add the beef in and season with salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp of oregano.
I scooped out about a cup of the beef mixture to save for another meal this week. I will season with taco seasoning and make into quesadillas. This is how you get two meals out of one.
Add your jar or can of sauce to your pot. I added some diced tomatoes leftover from my Spinach Queso Mac n Cheese. You can also add a little tomato paste and 1/2 – 3/4 cup of water. This will stretch your sauce so you don’t have to use 2 jars or cans. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Cook up some pasta according to the package directions, drain and add to sauce. Top with some parmesan cheese. Quick and easy!
- ⅔ - 1 box pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 jar or can of pasta sauce
- 1 pound or less of ground beef, cooked and strained of grease
- ½ red or green pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional add ins:
- sautéed mushrooms or canned
- black olives, sliced
- canned diced tomatoes
- 1-2 Tbsp tomato paste (use ½ cup - ¾ cup of water)
- Parmesan cheese to top
- In a pot, sauté the peppers, onions and garlic until soft, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the beef and stir together.
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Stir in the pasta sauce and simmer on medium heat.
- Add in optional ingredients.
- Turn down to lowest heat until ready for cooked pasta to be added.
- Stir in cooked pasta.
- Serve and top with parmesan cheese.
Hope you “wow” some people with this!