I wanted to make a rice bowl for dinner with some chicken I had in my freezer. I was thinking taco bowl, and then it hit me! Buffalo chicken rice bowl with lettuce and celery and some cilantro. I couldn’t wait to get started.
Cook 2 cups of rice according to package directions or in a rice cooker. Cut about 2 cups of lettuce into small strips.
Slice 3 stalks of celery crosswise to make thin half moons. Remove cilantro leaves from stems to equal about 1/4 cup.
Place 2-3 cups shredded roasted chicken in a bowl. I had some in the freezer from this post. You could also use a rotisserie or leftover grilled chicken.
Heat chicken in microwave or in a skillet if necessary. Add about 6 tablespoons of buffalo wing sauce. Do one spoonful at a time to make sure it’s as hot (or not) as you like. Then stir in 1-2 tablespoons of blue cheese dressing. If using less buffalo sauce, I would recommend using only one tablespoon of dressing.
Spoon rice into the bottom of a bowl. Add portions of the chicken, celery, lettuce and cilantro. Shredded cheese would also be a good addition. I forgot to add some before photographing.
To make a burrito, layer the rice, chicken, some shredded cheese, lettuce, celery and cilantro. Roll up and enjoy!
John and I couldn’t decide which one we wanted for dinner. We went back and forth, and eventually chose the bowls. They were amazing! We can’t wait to have the burritos tomorrow for lunch.
- 2 cups rice, cooked according to package directions or in a rice cooker
- 2-3 cups of cooked chicken, shredded
- 6 Tbsp buffalo wing sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp blue cheese dressing
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced into thin half moon shapes
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 cups lettuce, sliced thinly
- 1 cup shredded cheese, any flavor
- tortillas, optional
- Place chicen in a bowl and add buffalo sauce one tablespoon at a time until chicken is coated and at desired level of spiciness.
- Stir in the blue cheese dressing. If using less buffalo sauce, try one tablespoon before adding another one.
- For the bowl: Layer with rice, chicken, celery, lettuce, cilantro and cheese if desired.
- For the burrito: Layer rice, chicken, cheese, celery, lettuce and cilantro in a tortilla shell and roll up.
The bowl could also be served cold like a salad. This would make an easy take-to-work lunch. All your co-workers will be jealous!
Hope this gives you something to add to your regular weeknight meals!