I’ve been wanting some Mexican food for the last week and a half. I guess I was gearing up for Cinco de Mayo. My Pinterest food board is almost nothing but Mexican recipes in the most recent pins. I came across these Cream Cheese Enchiladas and immediately my mind starting swirling with ideas. I could add my standby favorites of black beans and red pepper. So here is what I came up with.
Start with 8 oz. package of cream cheese and let it soften. In a bowl, combine 1 cup of shredded cheese (mexican blend, cheddar or colby jack), 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and the cream cheese.
Dice up 1/2 a red pepper and 1/2 an onion and sauté in a skillet with some vegetable oil. Add a can of rinsed and drained black beans and salt to taste. Stir in a couple shakes of oregano, garlic powder, cumin and a pinch of cayenne. Not exact measurements, I know.
Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the tortillas – about 2-3 tablespoons each.
Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of bean mixture onto tortillas.
Roll up and repeat. Tip: I spread a splash of vegetable oil on the bottom of the pan to make rolling the enchiladas easier and prevent sticking.
Pour one can of red enchilada sauce on top. I used a homemade recipe, but didn’t write the measurements. I will be working on this and sharing soon! Top with one cup of cheese and bake on 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Serve and top with cilantro. These enchiladas are so amazing! I will be making these quite often.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups of shredded cheese, mexican, colby jack or cheddar
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 2 shakes garlic powder
- 2 shakes cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- salt, to taste
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 can of red enchilada sauce
- Combine cream cheese, cilantro and 1 cup of cheese in a bowl.
- Sauté onion and red pepper in vegetable oil until softened.
- Add black beans, oregano, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne to onion and peppers.
- Salt to taste.
- Spread 2-3 Tbs cream cheese mixture on tortillas.
- Add 2-3 Tbs black bean mixture to tortillas.
- Roll up and top with enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Hope this inspired you to make your own Cinco de Mayo meal!